I did a bit of decorating over the weekend. I love fall! I love the colors, the smells, the anticipation of the holidays to come, the foods, Oh! I could go on!
I noticed some bittersweet vine along my driveway this year. I've not noticed it before in the 15+ yrs we've lived here.
I wanted to get some of it to decorate with, so I took my little knife and cut some off.
I noticed after awhile that my arm was burning. I looked and this is what I found! I remember rubbing against the branches but not enough to make marks like this. I knew bittersweet was poisonous but after some research I learned that the leaves and branches can be toxic as well. hmm. I washed it good and put some allergy cream on it. It cleared up after a bit. I think if I want any more of it, I'll wear long sleeves.
This is the end result of my decorating. I love the little blocks! I found these in a thrift store several years ago. The doily and pumpkin (which is a bell!!) came from yard sales. I placed a small branch of the bittersweet on the shelf and put the rest in a pint size old milk bottle. The apron belonged to my grandmother. You can see a bit of the chicken scratch embroidery on the pocket. It is along the hem as well. The two sweet gum balls came from off a tree on the Biltmore House property. The old wooden thermometer is an advertisement, it came out of box of old stuff that I believe someone gave my son.
I love how it turned out!