Homekeepers Journal

This post was started on Monday but posted on Tuesday ;)
I took some time yesterday to pray and think about this post.


Sylvia, at http://christianhomekeeper.com/ has started a Homekeepers Journal on Mondays. You can read about it here.


Today is the first entry.

The Laying Down of My Life

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He lay down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethern.1 John 3:36

Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. John 12:24,25


What is God saying to me thru these verses:

God gave His life for me so that He can live thru me. He can't live thru me if I have not died out to Him (repented of me sins and excepted Him as my Savior.) Therefore, I cannot produce the "fruit" that I am suppose to bear-the fruit of the Spirit "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith.." Gal. 5:22

Meditations:

Every day there are things I have to "lay down" in order for God to work thru me. In my home, I must lay down my wants (I want to be on the computer, read, craft, watch tv, etc) in order to serve my family. I also must lay these things down in order to spend time with God-devotion, prayer. "laying down" to me means sacrific my wants and needs to serve others.

In Sylvia's post she said
"Laying down my life, or things in my life, ought to cost me something. Otherwise, what’s the point? What am I investing in my spiritual life that actually costs me something? When I try to offer God things that don’t cost me anything, it is an insult to Him. (1 Chronicles 21:24; Malachi 1:8"
What am I sacrificing in order to serve God and others? Sometimes I can be so selfish and stubborn. Oh! so prideful!
Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I pray that You will show me those areas that I must lay down. Show me how to serve others so that they will see Your love. Put a check on my spirit when this flesh wants to be first. Help me to have that humble God-like character that You want me to have. In Your name, Amen.
Do I dread laying down my life? Why? What am I afraid of? Is my fear legitimate or is there scripture that assures me of God’s love and care for me when I obey Him?
I think sometimes I do dread or fear laying down my life. I've had many hurts in the past and I guess I'm afraid of being hurt again. When you serve others, you open yourself up to them, you're giving a part of yourself to them and that makes you vulnerable. Also, I'm afraid of failing when I serve others. I'm afriad they don't really want my help or it want be good enough for them. What do I really have to offer? This is something I really need to pray about and meditate on. I'll be looking up some scripture this week. I know that God does not ask us or require us to do something without making a way to do it, or supplying the Grace that we need.

Comments

Paula said…
Wow, beautiful words, Patty!!!
I love to meditate on things like this, too.... it makes me realize how much of a sacrifice Jesus paid for something like me!!
Thanks for sharing this today!

Popular Posts