long time no see

I'm sorry I havent' posted lately. Sometimes life just gets in the way.
We are in for more snow this weekend. I'm not all that excited about it this time. I'm ready for warmer weather, but guess I'll have to deal with what comes.

I wanted to share another recipe with you. This one is for Black Walnut Cake. It is so good.
We have several black walnut trees in our lower yard. My dh gathers them up and takes them to an elderly man from our church. He hulls and cracks them out and sells them by the quart. I got a quart of them and made this cake.
I have to tell you the first time I made it, it was a failure. Oh! I was so frustrated. I thought it was from the 3 cups of sugar. It is not really a cheap cake to make! But it was my fault it didnt' work. I used self rising instead of the allpurpose and baking powder called for. A dear lady I know sent me her recipe, which was the same one!! She said her husband had said 'it was a keeper'. So, I knew I had to try it. But this time I used the correct ingredients and it came out soo good.
My mom used to make one that had a caramel icing on it. Yum!! and I've seen them w/ a cream cheese frosting on it.

I'm off to bed. It's been a long day.

Comments

Janet, said…
Hi, I love black walnuts. They are a pain to hull, dry and crack, but worth it. I put them in the freezer in quart bags. This sounds like a good cake, I love cream cheese icing on cakes. I always substitute self rising flour for all purpose and usually don't have a problem with the outcome of the recipe. It's cold here, too, and we just had another little snow storm over the weekend.
Tipper said…
Love love black walnuts-I'll be trying this one : )

Popular Posts